Summer Reading Challenge 2020
In previous years, an impressive number of Nansloe’s pupils have taken part in the town library’s Summer Reading Challenge. At Nansloe, we love a challenge and this is a great way to motivate yourself to keep reading over the summer holidays.
With libraries currently closed, the Summer Reading Challenge is going to look a little different this year and will be taking place exclusively online. The theme for 2020 is ‘Silly Squad’ and it features lots of hilarious animal characters which you can choose to be your avatar.
It all sounds very exciting and you don’t even have to wait until the summer holidays! The challenge has already started so sign up now and start your challenge today!
Interested in taking part? Here’s how:
- Sign up at https://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/ and create your own profile.
- Previously, you needed to read a total of 6 books over the summer period, but this year you can set your own goal of how many books you are aiming to read.
- You can read anything that makes you happy – whether it be comics, joke books, poetry, fiction or non-fiction.
- The books you read could be e-books as well as books from home.
- Each time you finish a book, you add it to your profile and write a review. You will be rewarded with activities and lots of incentives along the way.
- Once you have completed the whole challenge you will receive a downloadable certificate.
- Just like previous years, we will be offering the extra incentive of 20 bonus reads towards your next Reading Karate band or badge to anyone who completes it. Just bring your certificate into school when we return in September and your teacher will add 20 reads to your running total.
It is completely free to take part so what are you waiting for? Sign up and get reading straight away!
Get free access to eBooks and eAudiobooks with the BorrowBox app
To help your child to access books while the libraries are closed, Cornwall Library Service have teamed up with BorrowBox library app. Your child can have an electronic library card number which will give them free access to a wide range of eBooks and eAudiobooks. It is completely free to use and there are lots of lovely books to choose from.
If you would like to sign your child up, please email Mr Burge ( email@example.com ) with the name of your child/children to request an electronic library card number. If you have more than one child and they will be using the same device to access the app, we recommend setting up just one login for them to share. If they will be reading on separate devices, please specify in your email that you would like multiple logins. Each login can borrow up to 10 eBooks and 10 eAudiobooks.
Once you have your library card number, you will need to:
- Download the BorrowBox app (available for all Android and Apple devices).
- Open up the app.
- In the Library box, search for and select Cornwall Libraries Primary School.
- Type your library card number in the Borrower Number box.
- Your PIN is the last 4 digits of your library card number.
- The first time you log in you will need to enter an email address.
- Then you are all set and ready to start reading or listening.
- Books are borrowed for 2 weeks after which they disappear from your device. If you haven't finished, you can renew for up to four more weeks. If you finish your book quickly or change your mind about it then you can return it early.
There are some great books available on the app - you can search for specific titles or browse by genre.